Appearing fairly simple at first glance, the blackjack card game requires an analytical mindset and strong intuition. Solid knowledge of the fundaments will help you draw up a viable strategy in both regular games and highly competitive multiplayer settings. Read below to learn the ropes of how to play blackjack, how blackjack tournaments take place, and how to play online blackjack in Canada in a beginner-friendly tournament format.
Play Blackjack Like A Pro – Guide on How To Play For Beginners
Blackjack is played with up to 7 players and 1-8 decks of 52 cards. Once every person at the table places their bets, the dealing starts.
- Each blackjack player receives a hand of 2 cards faceup or facedown – depending on the casino. The dealer’s hand always has 1 faceup card and 1 facedown card.
- When you play blackjack, your goal is to have a hand worth 21 points, or at least more points than the dealer’s hand. The cards Two through Ten are worth their pip value, a Jack, King, or Queen counts as 10, and you can choose the value of an Ace – either 1 or 11.
- Analyze your hand’s value and the dealer’s upcard value. Decide whether you want to hit (obtain another card, which will add to your hand’s value) or stand (keep you hand as it is).
- The game rules define the dealer’s choices. Usually, they must stand on a hard (Ace-less) 17 or higher and hit on anything below that.
- If your hand ends up exceeding 21, it’s a bust and you lose your bet.
- Other players’ cards have no effect on whether you win or lose – your only opponent is the dealer.
If you’ve got two cards of the same value, you can split them and create two new hands. Another possible mid-game action is doubling your bet, but the number of extra cards you can get will be limited to one.
Find the Best Way to Play Blackjack Tournaments for Fun, No Download
Unlike in regular blackjack games, in tournaments, you play against other participants rather than the dealer. The main online tourney formats are:
- SnG and scheduled – Sit-and-Go tourneys can be joined at any time. The action starts as soon as there are 3-6 participants. Fast and affordable, they are perfect for novices. Scheduled tournaments have a fixed start time and often require players to register in advance.
- Elimination and non-elimination – the former format has multiple rounds; a certain number of low-scoring participants are kicked out after each round. In non-elimination tourneys, the winner is usually determined after one round.
- Single and multi-table – the tourney takes place on one or over multiple tables.
- Freeroll – the perfect option for those who want to play blackjack online for free in a tournament format. Players pay nothing to join a freeroll tourney, but the winner still gets a cash prize.
- Satellite – instead of cash, you win the right to participate in a higher-ranking tourney
In a blackjack tourney, the cash prize pool is either formed by the players’ entree fees or guaranteed by the casino.
Canadian Casinos To Play Blackjack In Tournament Format
The following online gambling venues regularly hold blackjack tournaments in a variety of formats, including beginner-friendly SnG and freerolls:
- Spin Palace;
- Ruby Fortune;
Whether you prefer lighthearted fun or intense action, these casinos will fully satiate your blackjack multiplayer cravings.